Thursday 2 May 2019

Easter Break to Market Drayton - part 4

As usual we set off at 10 am and descended the last of the Audlum locks on a warm sunny morning.  There was little wind and so a pleasant cruise was had.  

Below the visitor moorings below Audlum locks

Entrance to Overwater Marina

We had an uneventful run through Hack Green and got to Nantwich early evening to find every available mooring space taken with boats button to button through the town.  Eventually we got a mooring on the visitor moorings at Hurlston Junction and had another pleasant evening out on the towpath.

My arty photo  I call this "Electric Moon"

Next morning was Saturday and a glorious one it was too.  The sun was already quite warm so it was t-shirt weather for the day.  We took Smudge for his usual morning walk then prepared to up pins.

The fleet getting ready to move off

One could tell it was a bank holiday weekend.  The canal was busier than the M25.  Every bridge 'ole had a queue of boats going through in either direction.  I've never seen so many boats all on the move at once.  We waited our turn and boats passed through the bridge taking it in turns, all very civilised.

Steph on Merlin waits for a boat to pass through the bridge 'ole  two more waited the other side

At the Barbridge Inn the moorings were busy as expected but here we met several of our Tattenhall boats.  nb Chugabug on the pub Jetty, Harry on nb Utopia waiting to come through the bridge followed by Dave and Jo on nb Third and final.  Harry tooted his horn to welcome AmyJo as she came through the bridge.  This was soon followed by Chugabug's horn, Third and final joined in, then Marie's on nb old Faithful so of course we joined in sounding AmyJo's horns too.   The cocoffany of noise was deafening but everyone took it in good cheer thankfully.

Busy pub moorings

nb Utopoia and nb Third and final

nb Chugabug on the left and Nb Third and final in the middle underway  nb Old Faithful just coming though the bridge

Barbridge Junction

After passing Barbridge junction we carried on to the Cheese Factory at Calverley.  Here they do an excellent full English breakfast so we stopped for that.  We were not due back at the Shady Oak until Sunday evening so with the sun beating down we decided to moor up Bunbury side of Calverley and sat out taking in the sun. 

The ladies taking the opportunity to top up their tans

But for Graham it was too hot so he took himself off for a stroll

Unknown to Graham we knew it was his birthday so whilst in Market Drayton we had bought him a birthday cake which in the evening we presented to him.  We did not have any candles for him to blow out so Marie improvised with a match used to light the log burner

Marie presents Graham with his birthday cake and improvised candle

This night was our last of the cruise so we had a bit of a celebration party and bar-b-q in the evening.  I think we nearly emptied out the contents of the drinks cupboard and sat out until late in the night enjoying the company and banter

let to right  Steph, Graham, Steve, Chris and yours truly

To keep warm we got a roaring fire going in the fire pit  Someone wanted to warm their toes.

Cheers everyone  Baby Guinnesses all round

Total distance:1.99 miles Elapsed time:0h45m56s Locks:0 Bridges:7 
Average speed:2.60 mph (2.60 lock/mph) 

No comments: