Sorry for suddenly dropping out of sight for a while. Since we got back from our River Weaver cruise everything has come at us at once so we have not had time to draw breath. To make matter's worse our bank manager has now taken us of his Christmas card list.
|Rafters to be added to beef up and straighten|
the sagging ceiling
|New electrics and fire place going in|
|Hall re plastered|
|The end result in the front room|
|AmyJo's hull after power washing. Not too bad but plenty of bare steel|
|Dave hard at work putting on the second coat of blacking|
|Gunwales sanded and ready for a coat of Epithanes|
|Freshly painted Tunnel bands and the new Bike rack bracket welded in place|
|All spruced up and ready to go back in|
The batteries arrived a few days later so we arranged to move AmyJo onto the visitors mooring. The reason was the batteries were delivered to the house.? At 72lb (30kg) each they are heavy to carry so we loaded 3 each into our cars and transported them to AmyJo, having only a short walk to get them to her stern.
I then removed the old batteries 2 at a time replacing them with two new ones. It was time to reconnect everything up and it was then I hit a snag. The pos and neg posts on the new batteries are slightly further apart and this meant the cables were too short. The solution was to turn every other battery round 180 degrees so its neighbour's post was closer. AmyJo has a 24volt system so this meant wiring 2 batteries as a pair together in series then each of the 3 pairs in parrallel ( sorry for the techy explanation here).
|The new batteries in place|
Eventually, after all that heaving and cursing and huffing and puffing, I turned the isolator switch on and AmyJo burst into life with everything working fine. Final job was to hook up the invertor via the USB interface to my laptop and calibrate it to charge AGM batteries instead of lead acid ones (not for the faint hearted and done with Fernwoods electrician on the phone to assist). If you are not electrically minded I would not recommend doing this on your own.
We're now monitoring the voltage and once the batteries have had a good charge to settle them in we'll disconnect the mains and let them discharge as recommended by the manufacturer. This helps improve battery efficiency and prolong their life.
The last job to do was to replace the VB.net blue controller display with the new colour display so we can see the solar panel performance as well. This was delayed as I found out our current battery monitor is not compatible with the colour display so had to order a new later version. This duly arrived so I got on and replaced everything.
|The new display shows the output from the Solar panels nicely|
Thats all for now. Next post I'll update you on our solar panels and the other new addition added to AmyJo.